Jakarta (ANTARA) - The Ministry of Social Affairs has begun operating public kitchens in Nagekeo District, East Nusa Tenggara (NTT), to provide up to 3,000 meal packages a day for various communities affected by the earthquake.

Minister of Social Affairs Saifullah Yusuf said on Monday that the public kitchen in Aesesa Sub-district was initially preparing around 750 to 1,000 meal packages for dinner.

Starting Tuesday (August 18), the public kitchens will prepare meals three times a day, with each cooking session expected to produce around 1,000 meal packages, bringing the daily total to approximately 3,000 packages.

Production will continue to be adjusted according to the needs of residents at evacuation centers.

Related news: Indonesia confirms 68 dead after magnitude 7.7 NTT earthquake

The minister said meeting residents' basic needs was one of his ministry's priorities during the emergency response period.

“The most important thing is meeting people's basic needs. We are preparing public kitchens, continuing to mobilize logistics, while teams in the field continue to conduct assessments,” Yusuf said.

Based on the latest data, 1,000 basic food packages had been allocated to Nagekeo District. Nagekeo is also among the areas receiving support from an additional 48 tons of rice prepared by the Ministry of Social Affairs for communities affected by the earthquake in NTT.

The region also received assistance from the Kupang Efata Center, including tents, beds, family kits, roll-up tents, blankets, adult clothing, family tents, children's food, kitchenware, and multipurpose tents.

Related news: Indonesia keeps Rp5 trillion ready as NTT earthquake toll hits 54
Related news: Indonesia strengthens NTT quake response on Independence Day

The Ministry of Social Affairs has established public kitchens in three affected areas: Manggarai, Sikka, and Nagekeo. Three additional locations are planned in East Manggarai, West Manggarai, and Ende.

For the operation of the public kitchens over seven days, the ministry has allocated an indicative budget of around Rp5.16 billion (US$280,000).

The ministry has also prepared compensation of Rp15 million (US$816) for each deceased victim.

Compensation of Rp5 million (US$272) is also planned for each of the 199 injured victims. The assistance will be distributed following a data collection, verification, and validation process.

Including logistical support, follow-up aid distribution, public kitchen operations, and victim compensation, the ministry's total indicative support for the NTT earthquake response has reached Rp13,212,939,379 (US$718,000).

Pewarta: Hana Dewi Kinarina, Resinta Sulistiyandari
Editor : Mahdani

COPYRIGHT © ANTARA 2026

Dilarang keras mengambil konten, melakukan crawling atau pengindeksan otomatis untuk AI di situs web ini tanpa izin tertulis dari Kantor Berita ANTARA.